Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Arcane Reviews: Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Puella Magi Madoka Magica


Hello ladies, peolpes, and animals it is I, the Arcane Reviewer! Here to bring you another anime review. Well I'd be lying if I didn't say that I have been looking forward to this review. An anime that has taken people by storm when if first released in Japan and an anime which is a brilliant deconstruction of the magical girl genre of anime. I bring you my review of, Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Let get started shall we?

Story:
The story centers around a young girl named Madoka who is relatively a normal girl. She has a loving family and two very good friends as well. Everything changes though when a new student named Homura Akemi comes to her school and she seems to know Madoka in some strange way. Later on she meets Kyubey, a cat like creature who ends up offering Madoka and her friend Sayaka to become magical girls. But little do they know, a dark destiny awaits young Madoka and her friends. A destiny that will change Madoka and all of her loved ones, forever. Madoka Magica's story is truly a very amazing thing to see. The story is a deconstruction of the magical girl anime as a whole. It takes the normal lay out of what happens in magical girl anime and just shows all of the dark reality that comes with it. This show does not pull any punches when it happens either and the story is more character focused as well. Sure we get surprisingly well animated action scenes but that's not really the point of the show. You get the real meat and the real action from all the dialog and character interaction we see. This my friends is why the story is without a doubt the best part of the show.

Animation:
Production wise this show looks great. Don't let the art style fool you, just because they have all this cutesy light hearted art style and character design doesn't mean that they don't get dark and heavy on the visuals for the story. The animation just looks so freaking great all throughout the show and it never drops quality through the whole 12 episodes. The show starts off fun and happy like what you would expect from a magical girl anime but then when the show gets fucked up, the animated does a damn good job to make everything seem even darker. Studio Shaft does a great job here and make Madoka a wonder for the eyes.

Music:
Oh my fucking god! The music......the music!!! The music in this show is just plan out amazing. I absolutely love the music in this show and the music just goes hand and hand so well with every event that happens in the show. The music just pulls all of the heart strings to just make you feel all of the ways of emotions that the show throws at you. Also you get a great amount of badass battle music when a fight goes down! All of the music in this show is just oh so wonderful to listen to and I love it all.

Characters:
If I could wish for anything to see in all other anime that I watch, I wish that all anime that I see in the future will have such a strong and fleshed out development as all of the characters in this anime. The characters in Madoka are the strongest part of the show. They all get enough development and there personalities and back stories are given so much care and attention to that I just couldn't believe that I could get so invested into a character this much in only 12 episodes. The character that I feel is the true start of the show is Homura Akemi. She's just a completely well made, well developed, well thought-out character that I just fell in love with her. Her back story is also amazing too! Without giving away any spoilers I'll just say that after watching her back story, the show left me in tears. That's how damn good she is.

Nitpicks:
Once again I find myself in a awkward position because it would be a sin if I say anything bad. I loved everything about this show so much that I couldn't find anything that I disliked. So once again I suggest that we move on to the overall section.

Overall:
If it wasn't obvious from this whole review I guess I'll just say it here. I fucking love Madoka Magica. This is one of the best anime I have seen and it stand with some of my favorites like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Elfen Lied, and Evangelion. I highly recommend this animes to anyone who's a fan of anime. It's an amazing treat and it's one of my favorites.

Arcane Reviewer gives Puella Magi Madoka Magica a 10 out of 10.    

No comments:

Post a Comment